This policy has been adopted by Lighthouse Foundation to comply with the requirements of the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act No 155 of 2000. The policy should be read in
conjunction with the ten National Privacy Principles (NPPs) set out in the Privacy Act relating to the collection, use and storage of personal information.
1. Lighthouse Foundation uses personal information to carry out its functions and activities including to process donations, to comply with our legal obligations and to help us manage
and provide our services. Unless Lighthouse is asked not to, information may be used to communicate with the individuals who have supplied their information.
2. Lighthouse Foundation will only use personal information about an individual for a purpose other than the primary purpose for which it was collected if that individual has consented or the use is otherwise permitted by the NPPs. Where personal information is used in a secondary manner for fundraising purposes, Lighthouse will provide the opportunity for the individual to opt out of such communications in the future.
3. Lighthouse Foundation will take reasonable steps to keep personal information secure and will, subject to the NPPs, comply with a request from a person to access, correct or remove
4. Where or if Lighthouse Foundation engages an external organisation to assist it, Lighthouse will ensure that the external organisation will only use the personal information collected in line with this policy and the NPPs.
5. Lighthouse Foundation allows individuals to act anonymously where it is practical and lawful to do so. For example, Lighthouse will accept anonymous donations, however provisions contained in taxation legislation require Lighthouse to collect the name of the donor if the donor requires a tax deductible receipt.
Lighthouse Foundation’s operating procedures will comply with this policy and the NPPs. Please address any enquiries in relation to this policy to reception